HISTORY OF OUR COMMUNITY
St. Agatha's Old School Building
St. Agatha Class of 1938
St. Agatha Catholic School and Parish was founded in 1911, when Sellwood was a small village with unpaved streets. Back then, a group of three concerned mothers appealed to the Archbishop Alexander Christie for permission to build a parish school in Sellwood. Benedictine Father John Cumminsky and Sisters from Queen of Angels Monastery opened the parish and school building in 1911 with 60 parishioners. The church and school resided in the same building until 1920 when the current church was completed. In October 1920, a new church was built across the street to accommodate the growing school and parish. The Gothic-style church was built with tufa stone from Mt. Angel, cost $40,000 and featured art glass windows.
In 1997 a small group of dedicated volunteers raised money for the new school building. Phase 1 of the new school was completed in January of 2003, which included the classrooms, library and office. Phase 2 was completed by January 2004 and included the school gym and cafeteria.
In an effort to prepare our students for the scientific and technological demands of the twenty-first century,
St. Agatha has made Science and Technology a focus within our Kindergarten through Eighth grade (K - 8) curriculum. This initiative became a reality in 2011 with The Fr. Slider Steuernol Science and Technology Wing located on our second floor. The wing includes two classrooms designed and equipped to enhance our students’ learning in science and technology.